Monday, June 04, 2012

Guilt by association at the Capital Grille?

For a time it was a symbol of one of the biggest corruption scandals in North Carolina history: the bathroom at Charlotte's Capital Grille restaurant. That was where prosecutors said then-Democratic House Speaker Jim Black accepted cash bribes from a group of chiropractors.

Monday Republicans invoked that rendezvous in attempt to link Lt. Gov. and Democratic gubernatorial nominee Walter Dalton to Democratic corruption.

State GOP Vice Chair Wayne King joined Mecklenburg County Republican chair Gideon Moore and a handful of supporters outside the Capital Grille, where Dalton had been scheduled to hold a campaign strategy meeting with Charlotte Mayor Anthony Foxx and others. That meeting was canceled, but not before Republicans announced plans to demonstrate outside.

And demonstrate they did, holding signs with pictures of Dalton, disgraced former Sen. John Edwards and controversial state party Chairman David Parker. "NC Failure Team," one poster read.

"I was wondering if Mayor Foxx and Lt. Gov. Dalton were going to get a bathroom to have their meeting," King told the only reporter who showed up.

The Dalton meeting was to be invitation only. King called it a "secret meeting" that was "abruptly canceled.

Said Dalton spokesman Schorr Johnson: "despite their manic rantings to the contrary, the lieutenant governor's schedule is based on balancing a robust campaign with his official duties, especially during the legislative session."

  

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't the Capital Grill a really expensive place that only the rich could afford?

Anonymous said...

Yes, A $1000 a stall.

Anonymous said...

if the repubs get into that bathroom they will never get the stink out.

John said...

"King told the only reporter who showed up."

So, a few dozen Dems protest something and they get wide coverage and lots of cameras... Republicans protest and only one reporter shows up? I'm actually surprised the one did!

Anonymous said...

I thought Del Friscos was where all the hot shot politicians met???

Anonymous said...

Wow. The Capital Grille. I’ve had some really good meals there. Now as for the bathroom, let me tell you something, it’s as fine an appointed bathroom as you’ll find in this City. Now there was this one time, and let me tell you, I’d been on a bender the night before; I started off lunch with a bowl of chowder in hopes of calming my system down, followed that up with a nice salad w/ a lovely bleu cheese dressing, and then wham bam, brother I had to hit the pipes. I no sooner sat on that pan than I blasted forth with such force that I must have lifted off the seat at least a centimeter. And I mean bam, boom, bam did I ever let it go. I guess that’s what it took to clean out my system because after I let all that go, I washed my hands, and went back and sat down to a delicious salmon entrĂ©e. Everything was fine after that until I made the silly mistake of ordering coffee. No sooner do I finish half a cup than I’m making a bee line for the pipes again. Here again I no sooner sat on that pan than I’m letting one go that was positively barnyard in both stench and volume. Now I’ve been back three times since and have yet to replicate what I did that day.

Anonymous said...

I think Anonymous 2:31 #2 summed it up nicely. Close this thread down!

Anonymous said...

Anonynous 2:31 is Democrat talking about economics... that's why all of his thoughts are crap.

Anonymous said...

In the bathroom of the Capital Grille, hun? Juicy! I'm sure you don't want to know what republicans do in the bathroom at airports.

Anonymous said...

I wonder if former US Senator Larry Craig (R-ID) was waiting in the bathroom for them.

David said...

Anon 2:31... Congrats on finishing 6th grade and have a fun summer!