Tuesday, June 03, 2008

N.C. Super: 'Not hard to figure out'

David Parker's gut is about to report.

Parker is the Statesville lawyer who long relished his status as an uncommitted Democratic superdelegate. Back in February, he told me, "Frankly, I'm torn both ways. My mind is with Hillary, my heart is with Obama, and I'm waiting for my gut to report."

Park says he's going to declare tonight after polls close in Montana at 10 p.m. EDT. That's the official end of the primary season. So who will he choose?

"You do have a brain, I don't think it's too hard to figure out what an announcement after the polls close would mean," he says.

More uncommitted superdelegates are expected to announce for Sen. Barack Obama after the primaries are over. Obama already has nine of North Carolina's superdelegates to Hillary Clinton's three. Parker is one of five uncommitted. When he talks about the fall campaign, it's not hard to figure out who he'll come out for tonight.

"The thing that moves me is electability," he says. "And I firmly believe that when Obama begins to talk about issues of the economy ... his issues and his statements will resonate with the public."

For an updated list of all superdelegates, check out this site on the New York Times.

No comments: